Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Why Exercise

When I was at the gym today I was thinking about the evolution of my approach to exercise. I had just done the quick 15 minute core class I've been going to periodically and I was appreciating how I had gotten better and enjoying the uncharacteristic situation, where in the small class of all guys and me, it seemed like I was not struggling as much as the others. Afterwards, I was getting in some cardio before running errands and thinking how it's nice my mid-region was getting back to my "normal" flatness. Well, it's never going to be like my early days, but I do feel like a little work and attention keeps from sliding as the good old metabolism wanes. 

My point is that I was wondering what specific exercises helped with the weight loss. Frankly, I've been working out on a regular basis for almost 16 months and the weight loss has been very gradual. I do admit I was partially motivated to join a gym for weightloss/weight maintenance but it wasn't what kept me going. It was the mental payoff that motivated me on the days I just wanted to skip. Having more energy, being happier, getting a bounce in my step, being more focused, sharper mind with more creative ideas and even the social aspect. 

And frankly when it all comes down to it I think 90% of weight loss is diet and 10% exercise. But here's my aha moment. Exercise is critical to weight loss, and here's why. Eating right is hard. I've always been a healthy eater but these last two years I've really focused on eating right. There's nothing I avoid and don't eat, but the key is minimizing non-essential foods. And frankly I often feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle. I've been good about candy (I resisted buying Cadbury creme eggs this Easter - yay me) but baked goods are still my Achilles heel. I've reduced my fruit to a healthy amount but upped my dried fruit and honey intake more than it should be. I've been good about cutting back my dairy. But man, certain times I get hit with carb cravings (aka white flour food - simplified carbs - comfort foods). Basically I still crave sugar in all forms including simplified carbs. 

I'm more aware now why I reach for certain foods: tiredness, boredom, anxiousness, worry, stress, even just being thirsty makes me want something sweet. But even though I know the why, sometimes I don't have enough willpower. And one thing I read was that we all have limited willpower so use it wisely. Figuring out my nature helps reduce the gap that willpower gets you over. Brilliant right?  Well, for me, I've learned that by exercising, I reduce the gap later for eating right. 

In other words, exercising puts you in the right frame of mind to make the right choices when it comes to eating. When I'm exercising I reach for the veggies and protein and healthy fat, I plan and shop for healthy meals. When I've skipped exercising for awhile, I reach for everything else which is mainly variations of sugars even if I have healthy foods ready to go.  It seems so obvious.

Well I had to jot this down because this is something I want to make sure I remember... especially if I've gone for awhile not exercising. A good motivator to get back into exercising. 

No comments: