Tuesday, September 26, 2017

P66D Progress


P66D = Project 66 Days. I'm on day 23, or should I say day 20, or maybe I'm just at day 6. Here's the thing, does it count if I make it to the gym, regardless of what time? Is the habit going to the gym and working out each day, or is the habit going to the gym every morning at the same time (or around the same time)? Can I skip a day? How big a gap can I have and still maintain the habit forming activity?

I found an instructor at my gym that I like. She teaches at my level (well, a bit beyond, but it's good to reach and push yourself) and has a nice attitude/way about her. I've tried to make it to her Monday and Thursday afternoon classes and her Saturday basics step class. But I'm really trying to go first thing in the morning. Wake up, get dressed and out the door. As I've been experimenting, sometimes my inner voice in the morning says, "we're tired, and it's Monday, so just go at 5 pm for the class, it will count". Does it?  Luckily, my experiment has fought against the voice when, later in the afternoon, it starts coming up with excuses not to go to the class. I want to know my number which has been pretty good motivation. Especially since I want to apply my number to other things. 

I figured I'd focus on one habit at a time with this technique. I've been trying out other habit techniques with other habits I want to create (like flossing every night and washing my face every night).  So far P66D has yielded the best results. I had one day that I skipped so far, Sunday 9/17. I find the weekend the hardest since my gym doesn't open until after I've been up for awhile. So it's a different morning routine.  I was trying to remember the reason for the skip - it was my period and it had just started the day before so my flow was at its peak and I still had a few cramps. But really, if I'm honest, I think that inner voice got to me and won that fight. I've made it out the door and done stuff, with much worse conditions. I was just weak and lost the internal argument. 

Still, overall, I'm pretty chuffed with my progress so far. It's my best chunk of exercise to date, and I'm feeling an improvement, which I think in turn yields more progress since I'm stronger to fight that internal voice. I really need to come up with a name for that voice. I think I'll try calling her Daisy for now. Lazy Daisy wants me to be lazy so she doesn't feel bad being lazy on her own. 

No comments: