Tuesday, October 10, 2017

P66D Findings

Ok, having been about a third of the way into my experiment (I think), I'm staring to notice some things and have a few hypothesizes (is that the plural form?). Here's what I've got so far in stream of consciousness form:

1. Hypothesis 1: it might have helped that I dabbled in the habit I wanted to form before jumping into the deep end. All my gym visits throughout the year were a warm up for this marathon. Or it could be me just wanting to feel ok with my earlier poor performance.  Next step: for a future P66D project, pick a habit I've never really tried before (so flossing is out since I keep trying to be better). And see if it is harder to start up. 

2. You have to sweat for it to count. This one I might refine later, but basically I'm finding that the days I come in and work up a sweat, I get more energy for the day.  It got me questioning if earlier months, where I would go in and walk on the treadmill while reading a book really did much. Maybe, but the best bang for the buck is to sweat. I'm still trying to figure out what my minimum time that counts. So far I try to do at least 20 minutes. Take-away: Define your minimum requirement to qualify. Otherwise you can talk yourself into 'I did enough' but you really didn't for it to stick. 

3. Have two levels of go-to work outs. Some days you just aren't up to doing a full intense work out. The idea of it is just daunting. It can be good ammunition for daisy in her fight to keep you from going to the gym. The other day I was finishing my period and feeling sluggish. I told myself, bring your book and do the recumbent bike. Except, instead of doing the super easy course from previous months, I upped my level. It took some experimentation, but now I know what level pushes me, with rolling hills, that lets me read and sweat. Take-away: have a fall-back level in case of emergencies (day of weaknesses). 

4. Name your nemesis. Mine is daisy. Lazy Daisy. Words are powerful and I've been learning to be mindful of what I say. Not just to others, but especially to myself. That internal critic, and perfectionist and excuse maker has been too loud and bossy over the years. Prepare arguments against Daisy ahead of time, in your times of strength, so that in your times of weakness you are still on point. Mine right now is that 'I want to know my number'. It seems so insignificant but I have this belief that the number exists and because of that I really really want to know it. It's like that wrapped gift in the corner. You're just itching to find out what is inside. 

5. Practice parenting practices. This is crazy but sometimes I'm finding that techniques I've learned to manage kids are working on me. I'm dipping into my toolbox and using anything I can find. One practice I was doing was giving options to myself before bed. With kids, they don't want to go to bed and you can spend hours in the fight head on.  Or instead, you offer two options which both end in bed, but now they feel in control of the situation. For me, I was saying after I brushed my teeth (which is usually where I ended my nighttime routine) that I could either floss or wash my face. I'd end up doing one each night for about a week (mostly flossing). So strange that it worked since I knew what I was doing but it helped.  For the gym, Thursday morning I had woken up super early, like 3 am early and ended up getting up and working on projects. By the time my gym opened at 5:30, Daisy was working her magic - 'I'll just finish what I'm working on since I've been really focusing on finishing projects instead of leaving a lot of open projects'. By 6 am I had finished the project and Daisy was trying to talk me into other stuff to do instead of the gym, 'I had the afternoon class I was going to go to anyways, so might as well just go a little early before the class and do some cardio then and then you only have one trip and then.... ENOUGH' I interrupted. I knew I'd be even weaker in the afternoon since I didn't get a full nights sleep and less likely to go (which I ended up not going since I was taking a nap). I ended the bargaining, shut it down and marched myself into my bedroom to get changed and said to myself, 'that's it, you're going to the gym right now'. I felt like I was reprimanding an argumentative kid that you just can't reason with. You sometimes just have to shut it down and be firm. Just thinking in terms of parent/child helped me be strong. And you know what, I got an energy boost from my workout that got me through most of the day. 

6. Use the same routine - same time every day if possible

7. Reward yourself - new shirt - felt great wearing it for the first four times - careful of retail therapy habit. 

8. Stack your habit. Built on my routine of getting up, making bed, going to the bathroom, drinking a glass of water, giving the cats water, feeding the cats, insert new bit here: dress and gym. 

9. Prep the night before. I don't know why but setting out my workout clothes really seems to help. One less decision to stump you and exhaust you. 

10. Variety - same morning routine, different workout routines.  Depends on mood and energy level.  I have the treadmill, side elliptical, bike, rowing machine. 

11. Bonus days - getting better so do more. Morning visit and afternoon class. Class doesn't count since not much sweating - mostly weight strengthening and stretching/balancing. Or the ladder for three minutes - super winded. 

12. Name your immediate benefit. I go to the gym because it's good for me. I think of it as preventive maintenance but it's so hard to think of the delayed reward that is 10, 20, plus years out. Instead I've been focusing on the other more immediate rewards, mainly my energy boost and mood stabilizer. Last week, I was chatting with Larry, the owner, while working out, and stumbled upon an analogy. The workout is like my morning coffee, my caffeine boost. I don't do coffee or caffeine but am surrounded by people and society who can't function without their morning hit. Now I could be like everyone else and have my morning pick-up too. Saturday morning I was sluggish but I told myself, 'you just need your morning coffee' and off I went to the gym class. Daisy was like, 'but...' And didn't even get an argument in. 


First two weeks: ok if not exactly same routine. Get in the door and do your minimum and it counts. Let's you refine your optimal routine to be most successful. 
Second two weeks: build on momentum and add bonus. Extra workout - the ladder or a class (two visits). Stick to the routine you zeroed into your first two weeks 

No comments: