Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Hitting the Wall

I noticed that in my early weeks, starting my exercise habit, I was going strong, getting to the gym every day... That is until I hit that time of the month where my hormones sometimes spike right before my period. I skipped a day and used my period as an excuse.  But then when I was looking back at my progress a few weeks later, I called myself out. It was a weak excuse and if anything, that's the time to get into the gym to produce the other types of chemicals in the brain to balance things out. 

I was determined to see if I could do better next cycle. And here we are.  Some months the hormones aren't that bad, but this month it seems extra strong. Which I find just amplifies what ever I'm feeling. And unfortunately I have a quiet anxiousness with the job situation/finances. In my good days I know everything is manageable and my life is nothing like what others face on a daily basis, I'm quite privileged and lucky to have the life I do. 

Yesterday I made it into the gym at 5:30.  One motivator was that we have a new class schedule at the gym. After a few months, they'll see what classes were popular and edit them down. So I was motivated to try things now in case they don't make the cut. I got in and found I was the only one there for the early class and they need three people to have the class. So I did the treadmill instead.I wasn't really in the mind frame for it, expecting to do something else that morning. I usually do two miles - combo walking, running and hills. But I let myself compromise and do 1.5 miles since I would be back in the evening for my balance/bones class. I sometimes get there early to get free parking before it fills up which then I spend the treadmill before the class starts.

I got home, had good energy and got stuff done.  But as the day progressed, my energy dwindled and I found myself needing an afternoon nap. By 4 pm I was up but still not great energy. But I was resolved to make it to the evening class.  I really just wanted to snuggle in bed and enjoy a good book. Did I mention it was a dreary, rainy day yesterday?  All I wanted was cozy but instead I put the gym clothes on and off I went. 

I was cutting it close so had to up my speed on the treadmill to get in the half mile before class. And I was so happy to see that I could run for a half mile solid (well almost, I did walk for a minute first to warm up). It's so rewarding to see progress, isn't it?  I wasn't getting winded and even had my workout jacket on while running - I wasn't getting to hot. 

Anyways, I was glad I got to the gym, had my cardio and my class. And in the evening went home and had a good meal. I'm really learning to be good about always having some healthy leftover already made in the fridge, ready to go. I know it's obvious, but sometimes when you've reached the tipping point on your energy you can't make dinner when it's just for you. And putting good food in the body makes you feel good and vice versa. I really wanted some chocolate chips when I got home for the gym (I stocked up on a sale of ghiradelli chips - only $1.50 - usually they are $4). I've learned this was because, one I was thirsty.  When I'm thirsty I crave sweet. And two, I was hungry. When I'm hungry I crave sweet and usually by this point I need to eat something before I cook - I don't have enough energy to push through. No thyself. I've gotten rid of almost all my "fast food" snacks, since they have no nutrional value. The one I exception is I now have jars of nuts in the fridge. My go to is raw almonds. I used to look sideways at friends and family who ate nuts, even the salty ones. Not high on my list of foods. But now, I can't imagine not having them stocked. Sometimes (most of the times) I'll throw in a dried fruit or two like prunes. 

I digress though.  It's 6 am and I'm trying to get going and go to the gym. Again, I wish my period would just come so the hormones would reduce but that's why I need to go instead of rolling back to sleep. Ok, this post has helped remind me why I can't not go. I have to go and get my dose of energy for the day. I'm going to see how long I can run for. It's crazy that I'm not getting indeed after two minutes. That was where I was at the beginning, only six weeks ago. I'm off, wish me well. 

No comments: