Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Flashback to being five

I feel like I'm off my habit. As I mentioned earlier I haven't really clearly defined what the habit is I'm trying to create. I think I'm finding exercise every day is too vague and doesn't create the habit. Or maybe it's actually the best way to enter into the habit. This morning I woke up extra early and was supposed to have visitors (they canceled later in the morning) so I got up and tidies and cleaned.  And by the time the gym opened up at 5, I was on a roll with cleaning. I have to say it's so nice resetting the house to clean and tidy. I need to remember to do these resets more often. 

By the time I ate breakfast I found out my plans had change for the day and I kept going with work projects.  I did see that I could go to a 4 pm ballet fit class. I meant to get out the door earlier to run errands first and get some cardio in. Instead I ran late but knocked off some dragging to-dos which really felt good. And the class was a nice surprised. Very relaxed and not what I was expecting.  Basically it was laying of the floor stretches/Pilates and the second half was your classic ballet routine at the bar. And oh my goodness, I had a vague flash back to my younger days of doing ballet. I think. I was pretty young and the memory was pretty vague and if I'm honest the memory might have been from a movie I saw and not really my memory. But anyways it was a nice feeling. Ballet is so simple and yet difficult. I was focusing on so many different things but at the end of class I did feel taller which is one of the main benefits the instructor shared. I think I might do a little YouTube research and practice before next weeks class. I have grand visions of becoming and elegant and graceful person in how I hold myself and float across a room. From someone who is a tripper - it's a goal. 

The instructor was super friendly and after class she shared more about the exercises and we got talking about lifestyle and food and just generally a nice overall positive boost. I did still hop onto the treadmill but only ran a bit before I realized I needed to head to the bathroom (too much water) and then I figured I should run my errands and get home for dinner. So not a full cardio workout today, but I did make myself do a bit. 

I pulled out my old Fitbit (first generation, it's that old) and charged it up last night. I was supposed to go to a museum today and was curious how many steps I'd walk. I put it on first thing this morning and even though I was sitting and working for a bunch of today, between the running around tidying the house and the ballet class and the treadmill, I ended up close to 7,000 miles which isn't too bad. 

I think I'm going to try wearing the Fitbit for a few days and see how my exercise routine each day contributes to my overall steps for the day.  And tomorrow, I've steeled myself to make into the gym early (before 6 am let's say) and try to get the morning routine again.

Oh, and to follow up on the previous post, the orienteering results from my day out with sharing the trails with the horses, I placed 4th. So my run of top 3 has ended but it was a pretty good run. I'm on the fence if I should go this weekend. There are no local orienteering events, but because this is New England, going to a meet in Conneticut isn't that much farther than usual. It is two hours though. Maybe I can piggy back another trip on it too. We'll see. 

No comments: