Saturday, December 02, 2017

Grocery Run

For me I find coupons bring more stress then they are worth. I've been collecting old newspapers from dad for a spring time attempt to block weeds and came across the Sunday insert of coupons.  I ended up using one for contact solution. A different brand than I use but it was $1 off. Well, I fell for the marketing trick - using a coupon to get customers to try a new product. Strike one. But then, on top of all that, I don't know what it is, but I've gotten an eye infection two different times this fall. I finally figured out it was the contact solution and switched back to my tried and true and no problem. Strike two. So now, I'm back to my rule of only using coupons on a brand I like and that I need. I can't tell me how many toothpaste coupons I come across but I don't need any more tubes. 

My other rule is to only use coupons that are for a store and not a product. My local ace sends me monthly $7 off $25 purchase, so I stock up on those for when I need something. And that was about it until this fall. October I got a promotional sheet of coupons from a grocery store down the street. I think they're trying to keep up with whole foods since this was the first time I ever saw this promotion. Anyways, it's the kind where you get four columns of coupons for each week of the month for $7 off $25 purchase and then $1 off different departments. So $9 off each week. I had trouble finding stuff to buy by the end since I had stocked up my pantry and wasn't wild about their produce - I like buying local, in season produce. Anyways, final week I felt good that I saved good money about $25 without buying anything I wouldn't normally buy and fits in with my new approach to eating - buying single ingredient foods (mostly).

And then, a few days later, wham, in my mail was another mailer for a new grocery store next town over.  Another set of four weeks of coupons for November. I didn't think I'd use them all, skip a week or two. Well, I ended up using them all (not the meat or bakery coupon). And just finished using my last set yesterday, saving about $25 again. 

I'm all stocked up on dry goods and onions and dish detergents and everything. And wham, guess what I got today?  Yup, another promotional deal for groceries - single coupon for $35 off your first purchase. This time it was at my gym.  They were having an open house with a bunch of different tables. I almost skipped them but ended up chatting with one group, "Farmers To You" which is just up my ally. It's a small organization in its early days but it's basically like your online grocery delivery, like pea pod or other similar companies. Except this one is a partnership with small Vermont farmers. Great story revitalizing the dying art of farming in New England. Lots of great stuff, but a bit pricey for my budget. However, as I start buying less and less and really just the necessities, I don't feel as overwhelmed focusing on environmentally and socially responsible purchases. Especially with food that you are consuming. Local is always so much better and New England has such great biodiversity in its farming. Tons of options. Anyways, looks like I'll be shopping for December foods with my latest coupon. I'm curious if three is it or will I get another monthly coupon promotion in January. 

No comments: