Monday, December 04, 2017

Wild beasts, groceries and Antique Roadshow

First off, this morning. I was baking away for the week and using brown sugar. After I was done I noticed I was getting low and thought, "man, I thought I had stocked up on brown sugar, that would have been a good thing to use my grocery coupons on the last two months."  And then an hour later, guess what I found in my mail - more grocery coupons for December. It's the same grocery store as last month that just opened up and is a bit far away, but not too bad. I'm not sure I'll use every weeks coupons, but think I'll make use of the $3 off $15 some more. 

Yesterday, I popped up to NH for an orienteering event. I wasn't sure what to wear as its getting quite brisk outside but even hiking up and down hills can make you overheat. Anyways, great crisp sunny day and I headed out with the first wave of folks also orienteering. As usual, the second control tripped me up - I went too far and over shot it. Well, to make it to the third control, there was no easy way to get there on trails so I went off trail, following, what we in the know call a "handrail" (look at me learning the lingo). I followed a stone wall, now overgrown with trees and shrubs, in the middle of the forest. As I passed under one tree I saw a strange pile of dirt in front of a hole at the base of a large tree in front of me. It wasn't natural and I was curious so I headed straight towards it to investigate and that's when I saw some movement inside the hole, and I made out a black furred beast that was moving around and pointing its rear at me. Yup, I sprinted away as quickly as possible as I'm 99% sure it was a skunk. I felt bad I disturbed its home and felt bad that there would be a bunch more people probably following the same handrail and disturbing the skunk again and again. 

As I was finishing up the course, I started picking up fallen pine branches from the ground. And by the time I got back had a big armful. And as I drove home, I noticed another big branch from a different kind of pine tree fallen on the ground. I had a quick argument in my head about stopping and ended up turning around and going back for the branch. Except the branch was bigger than I had thought (it didn't fit in my car). So I take my hand clipper (i came prepared for this outing) and started trimming off good boughs for my collection. There was a guy leaf blowing the front yard, a way back from the street and came over to check I was ok and not broken down. When he saw what I was doing he went and got bigger loppers and helped me. How nice, right?  Now I have a pile of branches in my living room I need to figure out how to decorate with. 

And finally, I've slowly been cranking through projects - one of which is finally getting around to selling stuff I want to let go of but think I can get some money. I reached out to a local company that sells mid century furniture to see if they would be interested in my Thaden Jordan bent plywood dining set. Looks like they are interested and want to know how much I want. I figured I'd do a little research, and look what I found. One of the chairs was on the Antique Roadshow.  And just one chair goes for at least $800. Not sure how this translates to real life prices. But needless to say, I'll hopefully recoup my initial cost buying and shipping the set. I had a momentary pause about selling the set but reminded myself that although beautiful, by letting go of the set, I open up space (physically and figuratively) to let even better things come into my life. 


No comments: