Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Time: Daylight and Zones

Two posts that I wanted to write I realize have a common thread - the elusive subject of time. Today is my second day at my new job. It was strange this morning as it was the first time where I went directly to the new office (yesterday I put in an hour at the old office first). So I get up like usual. I get ready like usual. I wait for the bus and transfer to the subway as usual. I even get off at the regular stop and use the same escalator as usual. Except now I turn left instead of right. The two offices are just one block apart (their backs abutt each other). It was so familiar and yet so different.





Now I am facing the wonderful task of getting up to speed while still juggling the old job. It's keeping me busy which is good. But you know how new jobs go, no matter how easy or difficult, you just have a mild headache at the end of the day from absorbing so much new information, no matter how mundane or complex. Today I'm finding my head swimming with the simple task of time zones. My big project I'm working on first is in Abu Dhabi. Except the current team is in the UK. Coordinating meetings and figuring out when to email and talk is crazy. Plus there are some folks I need to engage that are on the west coast as well. So I'm desparately trying to remember 3, 4, and 5. Five hour difference between UK and here. Three hour difference between SF and here. And four hour difference between UK and UAE. Then there's all the math. Needless to say, I've been using the good old stand by of counting on my fingers. Plus on top of all that, my office computer was set up in military time.

No comments: