Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Office


Last night I was heading home later than normal, around 9 pm after attending some business development events. This time of night is always interesting. During rush hour (5-6 pm) the public transportation peaks with people getting home. It has a lull and then it peaks again for the evening entertainment rush getting home (9-10 pm). I always forget about the second peak.
At Park Street (downtown Boston) this couple gets on and sits across from me. The dynamic between them was intriguing. She was clearly upset with him about something that had just happened and was fuming about it. She would alternate between mulling it over and then bringing it up again. By the end of the ride she had calmed down a bit and they were mending the fence. There was no yelling or anything like that. But she was not happy and he was patiently waiting it out without saying much. The body language spoke volumes. She was sullen and sending out the don’t touch me vibe and he was coming in as close to her boundary as he dared. I don’t think I captured it well though. I like to think I was discreetly taking a photo but clearly they knew what I was up to as seen in the first shot - opps.
But besides being engaging to watch (I overheard very little although did catch “you embarrassed me” – the body language spoke louder than the voice), I really had a hard time not staring because I swear to god this guy looked like John Krasinksi’s little brother! He looked like him. He had the same build as him. He even held himself the same – the same mannerisms. I wish I had video on my phone. I’m even thinking he sound like him too. And I know Krasinksi is from the area. He’s a Newton boy. So it totally could have been his brother. Except, according to wiki – no younger bros for John. Anyways, I had a hard time focusing on my book. It was so distracting. And then when I got home, I was too wound up to go to bed, so ended up watching some old reruns of… The Office. (BTW John Krasinksi is the actor that plays Jim in The Office).

And talking about commuting, this morning, my bus was delayed, again, and I was running late to a morning meeting at a clients office over in the fort point channel area. I was hustling my butt over there and although it was still early, I was so hot and sweaty already. I was walking down the stairs of a pier that runs along the channel and I was struck with the strange feeling I was on vacation in some foreign city and I look up and see this. Nice!?
I think it was the heat. It makes me think of summer vacation. Speaking of which I just put my request in for vacation days in July although I’m not sure how I’m going to swing this Paris in July trip. Plane tickets are pricy for July. I decided to gamble and try to back a work trip against my vacation so that the flight is covered. I’m starting to worry I might have lost on this one. Tickets are now up another $500 and my friends place I was going to stay at is getting booked up. I’ll just have to wait this one out and bite the bullet down the road.

No comments: