Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Pet Project

Do you ever find you stall on something?  For me, I often think there is a certain order or certain way that something should be done.  Like I shouldn't clean out the fridge until after I've done the dishes (to make more room on the counter).  But is this really a show stopper?  Other times I want things to be perfect the first go around which translates to there never being a first go around (and many almost finished sweaters).  Usually I notice this snag in the mind and sometimes I'm able to address it and move on at getting something done.  Sometimes.  Not always.

Well, there is this pet project I've been wanting to work on.  It's a knowledge management website for the stuff I've been working on for the past five years.  Except it would be a big time sink, so I haven't done anything.  And yet I keep thinking of the project- always a good sign.  I'd think about it at work, on the bus, in the shower.  I'd think about what content to include, and how the content should be organized and how it can be accessed.  How people could use the site actively not just passively.  I came up with some grandiose ideas.  The thing is the content portion I can get up and running, it was the website development I was a bit stumped on.  I even got Dreamweaver but found it daunting to go from knowing nothing to having the skillset to develop my grandiose idea.  And I stalled.

I'm happy to report I got over the first hump.  I'm not going to learn Dreamweaver overnight. And I'm starting to realize I need some other programs in addition (not quite sure what).  Figuring out every little detail up front is impossible.  I got frustrated with it all and decided to just move forward with what I know - blogs.  Blog's are pretty much the extent of my knowledge and even though I particularly didn't want this to be another blog I found blogger seems to be far enough along that I can morph it into a pseudo website that will work for now.  I need to build up content anyways, so this is a good place to park the information and figure things out as I go along.

Example being that I really wish I could upload documents (something you can't do on blogger) as I hate visiting websites and finding the links are broken.  And there's no way I'm policing all the potential links.  Quick search and a few minutes later I found a work around - using google docs as a parking place for the documents you want to link to.  How cool is that?!

Well, if you want to see my latest endeavor, check it out, it's LEED Corner.  Unless you're in my field, I doubt you'll add it as one of your regular reads.  I sometimes try to keep tabs on my brothers blog he has with friends but Indian law is not really my go-to place for a break and something easy to read.  The project is in it's infancy but my plan is to add a little content each week and before you know it I'll have a mountain of information.  It feels good to be moving again on the project.




1 comment:

Jill said...

Two things...
LOVE your project! I checked it out...looks great and professional and has so much good information. Nice start!!!

second thing - NICE NEW LOOK!!!

Oh - and dreamweaver is very heavy...yes. It took me a while to be able to get around that program. I still have trouble sometimes. It's a steep learning curve but I have certainly plateaued at a lower level than I would have liked. I hear the new dreamweaver is a bit easier to get around. One of these days, I'm gonna get it!