Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Bruises and Rain

I don’t know why but I bruise very easily. So easily that at any given time not only do I have a bruise somewhere on my body, I also have no recollection of what incident caused the bruise. Generally they cluster on the mid-left thigh. I’ve determined I use my leg a bunch to push things and that’s also the height of tables and counters where I’ll cut a corner too tight. I’ve gotten used to it and it takes a rare super-duper black & purple major bruise to make me wonder what the dickens I was doing to cause such substantial damage.

But I’ve got one that tops all of them. Yesterday afternoon I was finding my right foot was hurting as I was running around the office, especially up and down the stairs. I figured it was a combination of wearing heels and flip flops (not at the same time of course - that would be challenging). Both take quite a lot of muscles in the foot that you don’t usually use when wearing sneakers. I was shutting down the computer and swapping shoes for my ‘run’ home and noticed something. Upon closer inspection, I found a bruise the size of a golf ball on the top of my foot - smack dab in the center. It was so unusual. And apparently happened earlier that day since the morning was pain free. I’ve been wracking my brain and cannot think of what it was that caused the . I’m stumped.

Of course, on my walk in this morning, all I could think about was this post and sharing my bruise. Once I got sucked up into work, sitting at my desk, it was completely forgotten. And I remembered all these strange photos I have from over the years where I’ve taken pictures of these minor strange injuries. A bruise on the tip of a finger from studio work abroad in Germany, a slashed finger from studio work back in the states, a bruise on my hand from my undergrad years… the list goes on (and apparently centers around schooling). No picture this time as I’ve learned they just come out blurry messes and can’t communicate the full scope of the damage. Instead, I record in writing this strange event.

On a completely different note, I discovered some rain math:
(1) bike
+
(5) days of hot and humid weather
+
(1) cold front
-
(1) umbrella left at home
=
Me in a summer dress drenched and shivering after only one block. Luckily it cleared up part way home and the jeans I couldn’t even look at a day ago, when it was hot and sticky, where so warm and comfortable. Did I mention I love wool sweaters!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah,ha! Bruises result from: 1 fair skin gene + 1 red hair gene + "royal" (blue) veins near the skin = family traits. Poor thing. Well, share and share alike!