Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Bonus Time

I remembered this morning that Clinique's Bonus time just started but by quitting time I had forgotten that I had planned to swing by Macy's after work. Luckily a late work convo with one of my female engineers jogged the memory. An hour later and I have a bag full of makeup and I've betrayed my 25 year relationship. 

I picked up my foundation - I was almost out. And a new lipstick (technically a chubby stick) since I don't really have any good day colors left - they're all samples from previous Bonus times and are more dark than I like for work.  I was also trying to find a good eye shadow since I just finished up the one I bought. But nothing was working. I was walking out with my two purchases and a bag of freebies when I was drawn to the MAC counter located by the door. A friend of mine loves the brand so figured I'd check them out. 

As the backstory, I have almost exclusively worn Clinique since my teen years. The only exceptions are moisturizer (which I use Clinique during the winter, just during summer do I switch to something lighter) and mascara because I'm not paying $15+ on a tube that lasts maybe two months. Drug store works just fine. 

One thing I love about Clinique is the smell - there is none. It's branded as fragrance free. But eye shadow usually doesn't have a scent anyway so figured I'd just ask. The MAC lady was very helpful and friendly (more so than the Clinique lady) and she had me sample a few shades. It was difficult to decide. I'm sitting holding the mirror trying to figure out what side I like better. I ended up choosing the more neutral shade which was what she recommended too. 

Of course you gotta love karma. I'm on my way home and on the subway I'm going through my goodies and checking out the samples. Included was a quad of eyeshadows. And low and behold, second one over is almost a perfect match to what I just bought. Doh! Oh well, at least now I have duplicates. I went from zero to double shadows. Maybe it's Clinique's way to say "don't stray, we've got what you want". Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to use the MAC shadow. 




No comments: