Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Heywood Wakefield

I'm still planning on posting about the family thanksgiving and getting my Christmas tree. But realize it won't be until this weekend. 

In the meantime I just got an email from Retro Craft. They are two quasi-retired sisters that buy mid-century pieces from estate sales, Craig's list, etc and give the a little TLC and sometimes paint or reupholstering. 4 years ago, to celebrate my new job (the current one) I bought one of my favorite pieces - a mid-century bureau. I fell in love with the organizational function.  It had all these sliding shelves to lay out your sweaters so they are easier to access. 

I signed up for their newsletter and sometime find a piece I like but often it is too expensive. I feel like their prices went up as they got more established. 

Anyways, reading my email today I see they have a coffee table that is just like mine.  I stumbled upon a trove of blond mid-century pieces one summer at moms in Ohio. The antique store didn't even have them out on the main floor since that style didn't sell in Ohio. And this is the origin story of how I have so many tables. I loved the wishbone legs of a Heywood Wakefield table, the multi-ply of another and the compact form of the drop leaf. In the end I got all three tables, the 14 chairs that went with them and this coffee table. 

I've been coming to terms that although I still love the pieces they don't necessarily fit my current space needs (constraints) and design style. And that I should start thinking about what to let go of and not hold onto future scenarios (when I have a bigger place and a home for all the pieces). So this is promising to see, even taking into condition the wear and tear of my piece. Especially since I've since learned how to better negotiate what to pay. I think I got a reasonable deal but probably could have gotten a slightly better bargain after watching one of my favorite shows - Market Warriors on PBS. 


No comments: