Saturday, March 16, 2019

Charity Bag Sale Lessons for Next Time

Be forewarned, this is mainly a dump of thoughts for my future self. This morning I was on the fence of stopping by my local consignment clothing store for a brown bag sale event. Fill a brown bag for $20. First I had just swung by earlier this month, still in search for some pants that fit my current size and didn't feel there was much I was interested in. I only have two pairs of pants for work and two pairs of jeans that fit right now. Which on a side note is totally doable but do see my work clothes getting worn out quicker. 

I was caught up with a side project I started last night - experimenting with video making on my phone and this morning, before I knew it, it was after 9 and the event started at 9:30. Part of me was like, "there won't be anything that good and last time I went, their sale section in the basement was pretty picked over."  But then my other voice was like, "it's good to get out and the plan was to go to the gym and then the sale, but since I was behind schedule, I'll just switch it."  

And when I pulled up to the parking lot, I was glad I went, if nothing else, just for the experience. There were about 20-30 women waiting outside the door. And there was a buzz in the air. I was chatting wth another lady and for a moment thought I had to pay up front to get through the door.  I wasn't sure about that, since I wasn't sure I'd find anything, but then, 100% of the proceeds go to a good cause, a local charity that sounded really neat. Turns out, no entrance fee, and I was in. 

They had closed off half the store and there were literally piles of clothes every where - on benches and the floor and bins - to just sift through. It was strange and daunting at first, and very crowded, but being a hunter for a good deal I got into it. Everyone was friendly and I made a few friends through the process.  One woman was admiring a cardigan I was trying on and I realized it was nice but not for me and I gave it to her and then she kept trying on something and if it was too small gave it to me. 

Here are my notes for next time - tips and tricks:

1. Wear leggings.  I was going to go to the gym after so was dressed in gym gear - happy accident. There are no changing rooms so I ended up trying on pants over my gym leggings. I was the only one trying on pants.  

2. No Layers. I kept carrying my jacket and zipper sweatshirt and a few times I put them down to try something on people would pick them up thinking they were for sale. Just wear a t-shirt and leggings. Something thin and tight so you can try things in over. 

3. Consider slip on shoes. I kept taking my sneakers on and off for trying on pants. Not too big an issue and ok for next time, but would be easier if I just had loafers or something. Good to have socks in case trying on shoes. 

4. Leave valuables in car. I had zipped the pockets, but really, I should have left my wallet and keys in the car and just carried my cash and car key in my pocket in my pants. 

5. Guard your pile.  I thought I was doing a good job of keeping an eye on my stuff. I lugged it around the whole time but occasionally, put stuff down to try stuff on and try to glimpse myself in the mirror - not many mirrors. I realized later in the day at home, a few things I tried on and planned to get disappeared. A navy thin cardigan that would have been nice, but I'm ok with losing.  But there was a pair of Vince khakis I was excited that fit that I realize now disappeared and now I'm bummed out. I don't think anyone purposely raided my stuff - they just didn't realize it was claimed.  By the end, I tried stuff on, and kept my bag between my legs for higher security. 

6. Bring a bag. I noticed one lady had a diaper bag that she put clothes into. This might be an idea to help contain the pile and keep your arms free. The brown bag got beat up quickly. Consider bringing my 10,000 villages burlap bag next time. 

7. Know European Sizes. There was a great mix of European based clothing and shoes. What's my shoe size and what's my pant size were the two big questions. 

8. Know your weaknesses. I was very proud of what I didn't walk out the door with. I kept finding myself keeping myself in check. Here's a few of my rules I kept with:
- No skirts - I don't wear them and I have a bunch already. No additions.
- No jackets - I did try a few on but in the end reminded myself I already feel like I have too many and it's hard to wear them all. Any new jacket would need to kick a jacket out of my closet. 
- Be careful of projects - I did get one project. A pair of dark linen pants I've been looking for for two years. That are several sizes too big. I'm going to try to take them in. This was my one sewing exception. 
- Color - I found a few things I loved the cut and fit but just wasn't my color. I was honest with myself.
- Cut - all the sweaters I picked up, I love the necklines. I tried on some v-necks and they just weren't as good.  
- Size - since everything was all over the place there was a lot of slightly too big and too small finds. One pair of really cool shoes fit but I think were a half size too small. Even so, it took me having them on for a little while to come to terms that they didn't really fit. 
- Duplicates - I was tempted with a few things I already had. There was a cashmere turtleneck that was nice but I already have three and don't feel like I've gotten enough wear out of them this year - no need for a fourth. Same with cardigans. 
- Focus on Work Clothes - right now, in general I have more weekend clothes than I need so shouldn't be bringing home anymore casual wear and if I do they have to be nicer than what I own already since I'll need to get rid of something. 
- Sets - there was one pair of high waisted pants that fit well that I figured I try as an experiment. I had been considering high waisted for awhile due to my long torso.  There was a blazer that went with the pants but it didn't fit that great - was a little oversized. Which could totally have worked, if I live in NYC, and worked in a funky job. It took me awhile to be ok leaving the jacket behind. In other news, it wasn't until I got home I realized I accidentally bought another set - I think it's the same pants and blazer. Same brand and color - the material is slightly off but don't think you can tell. I found the two pieces in completely separate rooms at different times. 
- Shoes - I was extra careful and only looked for shoes I could walk a lot in. I found a pair of tall boots that were super comfortable but just wasn't my style I realized. I was good and let them go. 
- Quality - I did end up buying two fast fashion items (a nice merino wool sweater from j crew and a pair of leggings from banana republic), but otherwise I kept with higher end, good quality materials. I got two Theory items and a Vince cashmere cardigan, that alone are each $150 full price. Ugh, if only I held onto those Vince khakis. One item I had noticed in my earlier visit to the store was a purple label Ralph Lauren cashmere sweater. The store was selling it for $148 (which means it's likely $300). I found it early on and couldn't believe it. It's so comfy. I made sure to look for stains, holes, snags, but at the same time looked past things I could take care of. For example a few of the sweaters had a few pilling situations (nothing much) which I can easily take care of and give a second life. 

8. Open Minded. At first I didn't think there would be a problem of overfilling the bag. I'd find a piece or two and get a good deal and support a good cause. I picked up a lot of different-for-me-items, and considered them. A different type print shirt (too large in the end). A lot of the items I considered, didn't make the cut, but glad I wasn't narrowly focused on just pants of a certain cut/style which is what I really wanted. I think I would have quickly been frustrated not finding them. In the end I accidently found just what I was looking for that I'd happily have paid $50. So everything else was icing on the cake. 

9. Get There On Time and Stick Around. There were two times I thought I was done and then more bags of stuff were brought up. That's when I found the pants I was looking for and a few other items. So am glad I took my time. 

10. OK to be Imperfect. I was thinking, after all my decluttering and refining my wardrobe, what was I doing bringing home a bag full of clothes. And clothes I wasn't 100% sure on since I couldn't properly try them in or see myself in a mirror. In the end, after multiple cycles of going through the bag, I felt comfortable I was bringing home items on purpose. I was honest with myself that there were a few experiments in the bag but now was the price point to experiment. And I've learned if I key the item out as an experiment up front, I don't end up making the same purchasing mistake twice. Three of the pants are experiments (high waisted, legging like, need to take in), I picked up two skinny dressy belts (haven't worn belts in years), a French silk scarf to experiment (I think it's a real Chanel - the colors worked for me), two cardigans: one is a cashmere hoody - do I wear hoodies?  Am I too old for a hoody?  The other one I loved the cut and but wasn't sure about the color - it's an interesting shade of ligh gray/white, so need to experiment with other colors in the outfit.

11. Stick to One Bag. At one point, when more clothes were being brought out, I was getting into the territory of two bags. At first I thought, stick with one bag and then I was allowing myself to just get more and more. I stopped and really looked at my collection and whittled it down to my favorites. I was happy I stuck to one bag. 

12. Succes previously is no guarantee. I'm setting my expectations low for next time (if there is one). Sometimes you find stuff and sometimes you don't. I don't think I'll hit such a good haul again. But even so, it was a fun experience. One lady commented it was like what the Nordstrom basement special events used to be like. When I first moved to Boston I'd see people lined up in the morning for blocks to go to the wedding dress event. I had a fun time (not for everyone) and the hunt was as fun as the spoils. 

All in all, a wonderful haul.  I ended up donating a little extra because I got such good deals. It was $20 for the bag of clothes, I paid $30 (with the extra donation) and walked away with 16 items, so less than $2 each. Full price and new, I can confidently say over $2,000 of items. And full price but used, sold at the consignment store during regular hours, over $500 at least. I still love me a good deal, especially when it's for something I need and is of quality (I'm trying to move away from good deals but not for things I need or good quality). At the end, I was a bit more tired/worn out and picked up a few items because of the brand, if I'm honest with myself. I got a Chanel scarf (which i have been wanting to experiment with, but it's not high on the list), and some Gucci key chains (which I don't need and already am thinking of who I can gift them to/ sell). But on an upside, the Eileen fisher linen summer sweater I got in part because of the brand, turns out is a really good color for me when I tried it on again at home and am glad I got it. 

Now I'm off to do laundry, and a bunch of hand washing of these items. And depilling. And figuring out what stays and goes in my closet. I have a set number of coded hangers (hangers for Blazers, versus pants) and spaces for sweaters. So although I have room for a few additions, some of my items in my closet are getting bumped out as I slowly upgrade/switch out items. Oh, and on a final note, I logged all the items in my finance ledger of things I buy with the intent that at the end of the year I'll go back through what I bought and figure out what I wouldn't have bought again and use that to help inform future buying habits. This allows feedback loops on things I'm experimenting with. I did this last year and it was very insightful. 



No comments: