Tuesday, April 02, 2019

External Deadline

With everything going on, I've been working on clearing out my to do list so the month of May is pretty low demand. And wow, having a deadline really works on things that can be put off until tomorrow. I came across the concept of your future self last year. When you agree to doing something that is in the future it doesn't seem so bad, because the future is so undefined, but then you end up piling on more than you should have. This year I've not only been working on putting myself first more (for example a few weeks back, I kept snoozing and missed when I should have gone to the gym.  Normally I would have skipped the gym and marched on to work. Instead, I said me first and got into work only a little late but was so much more efficient.). So not only have I been working on putting myself first but also I've been keeping my future self in mind too. And putting my future self first too. 

It's amazing how many little things I crank through because I don't want them to pile up for tomorrow me. It's a real change in reframing things for me. On the bigger items, I cranked through a whole bunch of items: got my muffler system replaced, vet visit, heating system tune up.  And I feel like a handful of other items I can't remember. It feels good (although maybe not on the wallet all at once, but I've been saving up) to have them all taken care of, especially since some have been long overdue (you could hear me coming for quite awhile with the muffler I had). 

Now I can't say it's all just me thinking of things differently, but that helps. Two other things have helped. I built in more social/outdoor activities on the weekends. Now instead of being a home body, I have a nice mix for me, of getting out and about and relaxing time at home. My orienteering started up last weekend. And I didn't do too bad for not being able to run. And I've been enjoying my new vegetable garden cooperative I joined. Next weekend we'll be starting in the garden, up until now it's been seedling work. 

The other thing is exercise. I feel like I've finally made it past a tipping point, after two and a half years of working on this. I've been on again, off again going to the gym. But I keep persisting.  "Tomorrow is a new day" thinking and trying to start over again, and again and again. This year I had been getting back into more of a regular visit and with some of the exercise restrictions after surgery, I found myself itching to get back into the gym. I'm still on week 2 of the couch to 5k program, but am feeling like I'm making headway. And I miss it when I don't get in my work out. I'm hoping once I get my aerobic exercise habit in place, I'll work on more regular stretching and strength training.

Both things really help put fuel in my engine so I'm more productive, better frame of mind and therefore better sleep. And of course, my eating is so much healthier than three years ago. On a side note, when I switched my diet and really focused on healthier foods, I did something similar for my cats and switched their diet to a higher quality food. Unfortunately, lesson learned, the food, although much better and higher protein, less grain, causes lots of problems in cats and poor Webster is suffering urinary issues. Hence the vet visits. He's not out of the woods yet, but hopefully I caught it early enough. Anyways, I'm switching their food back to a more balanced diet for cats.  And here I thought I was being a good mommy. There's just so much information out there to sift through. 

So all in all, doing well and enjoying the little moments, like on Sunday when I was near then end of my orienteering course, I came across a loud sound.  At first I thought it was a flock of wild turkeys just on the other side of the ridge but as I got closer I realized the sound was coming from the bit of swampy pond - it was a cacophony of bull frogs...I think. I paused in my journey to stare and try to spot at least one fog but nothing.  I stared and stared and it was just calm water and piles of leaves on the banks and no movement and yet I was surrounded by the almost deafening sound of the frogs. It was surreal and isn't that what makes life wonderful. 


No comments: