Tuesday, December 29, 2009

1, 2, … 3?

I realize I like counting songs. Have you ever listened to Feist’s 1234, perhaps for the apple commercials awhile back? Or Plain White T’s 1234 popular a few years back? Of course I love the color patterning in the Feist video. You know me and ordering things (books, yarn, socks, underwear…) by color.



Well, that’s not really what this post is about. Yesterday was 1, 2 and maybe 3 babies. First up, I had drop-off dinner duty for Cece and Aaron. I walk in and am greeted by Aaron and boy, does he look tired. In good spirits, but the eyes were in serious need of some cucumbers (if those things really work). But you get the idea. They have company, yet again, passing through on their way to NYC. The Great and All Powerful One (TGAPO), as Cece likes to refer to their 5 week old daughter, is very different than their first born. Not a lot of long sleeping stints and when she wakes, she hollers and brings down the house. Of course, when I was there last night, I got to see the cute little version before she drifted off to sleep again. Cece was down for a nap and just before I was about to head off she awoke and… looked tired. But still functioning. Even watched her as she made several homemade dishes for my little god-son. Who unfortunately didn’t wake before I left so didn’t really get to see him, other than on the baby monitor. But TGAPO was so cute and soft and has grown so much in the past week or so since I last saw her.



And then I was off to the other side of “town”. (When I say town, I mean the greater Boston area. And when I mean greater Boston area, I mean 495, the outer loop. I clocked over 50 miles last night I think). It was handy having the GPS I have to admit. And having the seat warmer. And having a smooth, wonderful ride. I do really like having a nice car. Anyways. Off to pick up Andrea and we headed over the maze of hospitals in Boston to visit Colleen and Mark who just introduced their young son to the world yesterday morning. She wasn’t due until 1/5, but he was weighing in at over 10 lbs so they decided to do a C-section. He weighed in at 9 lbs, 14 ounces! Crazy. And, I got the wonderful honor (just happened to be in the right place at the right time), to be the first one to hold him, besides his proud parents and hospital staff. And boy is he big. He’s like a little football player – no neck. I have a feeling it’ll immerge down the road though. And he was awake pretty much the whole of the visit. Just gurgling away and getting the hang of his hands and tongue and mouth and eyes. And he was so soft. When I first picked him up – sans clothes, I brushed against his skin and was surprised at the softness. I’m so used to clothed babies. But he seems really laid back and seems to have a good weight so he can sleep for longer chunks. It was great seeing the newbie parents. Although they were in stark contrast to the parents I had just left. They were pretty rested and excited. Ah, the journey of parenthood has just begun. Interestingly enough, there was a poster on the wall talking about newborns and they said the first two weeks they don’t cry much and then it gets bad and peaks after two months. Good to know.



Of course, by the time I got home I was exhausted and crashed into bed. But on the ride home I couldn’t help but wonder about my step-sister. Her due date was Christmas day. My nephew is late. Got an update this morning that they are still waiting. So who knows. I think 3 is on hold for just a bit longer.

No comments: