Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Merry Christmas!

This year we ended up celebrating Christmas on the eve off Christmas eve. It just made more sense that we have the holiday in the middle of the week that Nick and I were visiting mom. This way we don't leave her with a ton of left overs and make sure she can work her latest gadgets.



This Christmas was a technology year. Got mom set up with wireless and a MP3 player and the gadgets that go with it. And got Nick a nice fancy watch. He is in his 30s after all now.



I actually set up the wireless a few days ago to make sure it worked and it reminded me when I got her Tivo. I was setting it up and getting it working while she was still around. The key is to act like nothing is up and that what you're doing is just normal "stuff". And the gift can still be a suprise. Of course, the danger was Nick might give it all away but not ever coming down. But he's been good and pops down periodically between reading and working.



Yesterday it was light fluries here in the mid-west and got to enjoy it while taking mom's dog, Maggie for a long walk around the neighborhoods. Of course now, I'm her best best friend and she won't leave my side. Which makes me appreciate and miss my boys.



Speaking of which, I don't know if I blogged about this before, but am too lazy to check, the latest discovery is Winston and the ladder. After getting back from Thanksiving away, I had a rare moment where I was hanging out in the living room watching tv or talking on the phone or something and I suddenly realize that the cat on the ladder eating the plate of cat food wasn't little Walter but his big brother who had been to afraid to climbe the ladder before. I haven't quite figured out what to do yet, but am now faced with the dilema of one over-weight cat who is on a restricted diet and one cat who doesn't eat too fast and is on the slim side. Walter could always graze in the safety of knowing his food couldn't be gobbled down by his brother. Now, I don't know. I need to figure that out when I get home I guess. But as someone pointed out, at least Winston gets a work out climbing the ladder to get the food.



Still trying to finish the Christmas shopping and making of presents. I'm almost there, the list is shorter. Still finishing up a gift for dad who we get to celebrate with this weekend. This years plans have been up in the air, not knowing exactly when my nephew will arrive. He's due on Christmas day, but we'll have to wait and see!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

hmm, maybe the food could be behind a piece of wood with a hole in it only large enough for the slim cat? or a food dish that only appears when the cat is jogging on a cat sized treadmill? treadmill on, food door comes up? i'm full of wonderfully impractical ideas today! or, the door to the dish slams shut when too much weight is in front of it?